Thursday, August 6, 2015

QAYG Finish!

Ever since I took the FMQ workshop with MR from Quilt Matters and she showed us how to assemble our quilted blocks using a quilt-as-you-go method, I've been wanting to make a big bed quilt using the same technique.  I've quilted big bed quilts on my domestic machine, but I have to say my shoulders weren't happy about it - quilting small sections of a quilt and then assembling the quilted blocks seemed so much easier to me.



I saw a picture online a few months ago of a quilt (of course I can't find it again now) but there was no pattern and no tutorial, so I got out my graph paper book and started drawing.  Within a couple of hours, I had a design I really liked and vaguely resembled that picture.



The tricky thing was making sure I could "cut" the design into sections that would result in rows or columns that could be sewn together after they were quilted.  I then did the math, cut the fabric for each section, pieced each section and then quilted it.

I used Kona Ash for the background and a bundle of Kate Spain's Daydream for the coloured blocks.



I used my Hera marker and randomly traced straight lines for the quilting.



Once all my sections were quilted, I used MR's method to sew them together into a quilt!  It was like magic!

For the binding, I used some Kona Mint I had in my stash.  It very closely matches the green in some of the blocks and adds a nice pop of colour at the edge of the quilt.



This experiment, I think, was a success!  This quilt is now going to the Island House.  The finished size is 72" x 88", perfect for the twin bed we have in our guest bedroom.

And I leave you with a outtake of the photo shoot we had yesterday.  The weather wasn't great so we couldn't go very far from the house and it was super windy!


I will be linking up at TGIFF hosted by Laura this week and Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

Izzy

 
 

14 comments:

  1. Très beau! J'aime beaucoup ton piquage deux couleurs. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on this finish! It's turned out beautifully. The design looks great and I love your straight line quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this!!! I may need to try the QAYG method. I love the pillows too! Yellow and gray are great together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilting on this lovely quilt. I really like how the lightest fabrics sit together in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love the colours of the fabrics and the different coloured threads in the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos on the design. It's a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm impressed you designed it yourself! the random quilting adds a great element.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo. I love the idea of quilting as you go. I have several scraps of batting that would not work for a quilt of any size, but as individual blocks to be sewn together. Yes! I love the way the colors seems to morph from one to another on this grey background, and your bold diagonal line quilting is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love this one! Then again you already know my love of Kate Spain. I loke how it doesn't look like a typical QAYG quilt. I adore the quilt lines, especially how you did the two thread colors!!! It was the first thing that caught my eye. I also love that binding. It was a fun choice. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love this one! Then again you already know my love of Kate Spain. I loke how it doesn't look like a typical QAYG quilt. I adore the quilt lines, especially how you did the two thread colors!!! It was the first thing that caught my eye. I also love that binding. It was a fun choice. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors you chose! I also like that you made your blocks different colors it breaks up the quilt nicely and adds to the quilting! Congrats on a beautiful finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic quilt, Izzy! Thank you for sharing your process - I love seeing how a sketch gets turned into a finished design. You did a beautiful job and the palette is so soothing. Now you have me longing to try QAYG. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! QAYG is such a great technique for quilting bigger quilts, your finish is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Isabelle, I LOVE this! Such beautiful colours and I love the design. You did such a great job with it!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS